Wednesday, June 30, 2010

All in the family Day 14

Well, today was a day that we all performed acts of kindness. The kids and I decided that we wouldn't plan any acts of kindness that we would go with the flow, sort of speak. We would be kind wherever it presented itself...smiling at someone who needed it, holding the door, buying coffee for a stranger, etc. With this in mind....let the day begin.

Elliott called me at work and was so excited. The first thing out of his mouth was, I did and act of kindness...you will be proud of me. He had gone to the house to sign up a child for Trooper Island camp. The younger brother desperately wanted to go but was to young. He was making every attempt to get and keep Elliott's attention. Elliott said when he got ready to leave the youngster asked if he could have a ride in Elliott's state trooper car to his friends house. Elliott explained that is against policy and he couldn't provide him with a ride. He saw how disappointed the child was so he told him to come here. The little boy and Elliott headed to the trunk of his car. Elliott said he gave him Jr. Trooper badges, teddy bears, pencils and all sorts of goody items. He said the little boy was so excited, with his items, that he tripped running to the house. He wanted to show his Dad what the State Trooper, his new friend, gave him. I could hear Elliott smiling on the other end of the phone. He kept saying I gave him things in my trunk and he was so excited. I made his day. Even after Elliott came home, when his work day had ended, he was thinking of other things he could get together for this child.

Tonight, the kids and I went to the circus that came to town. We paid for the $1.00 extra "upgrade" to sit in better seats for 3 people. Ellie asked for $3.00 and I asked her what she need the money for and she said it was to buy a child a snow cone. Ellie watched as he was attempting to eat his and it dropped to the ground. She bought him a replacement snow cone. Cody, sat beside of a 3 year old little girl throughout the majority of the circus. To be a teenager and to willingly sit and watch this child was something to watch. When the circus was over he carried her to the car.

I stand amazed, at the kindness, gentleness and goodness my children exhibit. Wow, today was awesome!! I loved watching how easy the kindness came to Cody & Ellie today. I didn't have to tell them to be kind....they did it without thinking about it at all. They are wonderful Godly children.

I was so excited for Elliott and his kindness journey. I didn't see the little boy, but I find it hard to believe he was more excited than Elliott was when he was telling the story. This child left an impression on Elliott and I'm certain that Trooper Gollihue left an impression on him, that will last a lifetime.

So, it was the entire Gollihue family, all in the family, working on kindness. Praise God for my family. Thank you for the situations that presented themselves to us today. None of our acts of kindness were planned...they were random. Thank you God for that opportunity.

Thank you God for my family!!!

Where will we be tomorrow? Stay tuned. until then.....

on your mark, get set, be kind.

love ya to the moon & back,
Annie, Elliott, Cody & Miss Ellie

No comments:

Post a Comment