Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy Father's Day



Father's Day, just happens to be the 4th day of our year long kindness journey. To me, Father's Day is bitter sweet as I love to celebrate the day with my husband, Elliott. However, my Dad and grandfathers spent this day and every other day with Jesus. When I reflect on past Father's Days, I think of cakes my sister and I made for our Dad, shirts purchased I just knew he would like that just happened to be my size and all the years worth of love & support that he showered my sister & I with. The thing that my Dad taught me that sticks out more than anything is he and my mother were the first ones who taught me about the love of Jesus. What a wonderful gift to give your children. I could not have ordered a better childhood and better parents. God blessed me beyond words.

Well, while thinking of what to do for our act of kindness, I just kept thinking about my Dad. Well, because I was thinking about my Dad,sharing stories to Cody & Ellie about their Papaw Reeves, it became clear what we would do today. My Dad was a junk food junkie, he would call them "nacketies" So, the kids and I bought a small brown wicker basket ($2.00 at Family Dollar) and filled it with snack cakes (also purchased at Family Dollar). We took the wicker, junk food filled basket along with a card simply saying we are praying (and explained the year long kindness journey that Cody, Ellie & I are on) to Community Hospice. My Dad wasn't at Hospice, but I thought of the sons & daughters who are there saying goodbye to their Dad.

Elliott joined us and drove the kids & I to Community Hospice. He was thankful that today we chose Hospice to be the recipient of our act of kindness. He had a brother pass away in March at Community Hospice. When we got to Community Hospice, the kids and I got out and went inside. I spoke to the receptionist and explained our journey and she was so gracious. She wanted to know if we wanted our basket back and wanted to make sure our name was on the card. As we were leaving the Hospice parking lot Elliott showed us (Cody, Ellie & I) where his brother's room had been just a couple of months earlier. Elliott said I'm so glad you did your random act here today....this was really nice. He is an awesome man and a wonderful father to our children. God is soooooo good to me!! Praise be to God whom all blessings flow!

This random act certainly caused the kids & I to talk lots about my Dad and their Papaw. This random act of kindness was done in memory of my Dad, Nick Reeves, who was the best Dad anyone could ever ask for.

Thank you God for my Dad, Elliott & this random act of kindness journey with Cody & Ellie.

On your mark, get set, be kind....

Love ya to the moon & back,
Annie, Cody & Miss Ellie

2 comments:

  1. Truly inspiring and humbling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On Saturday, June 26th, we received the nicest 'thank you' card from Community Hospice. They thanked us for the snack basket. The basket was placed in the living room area and they mentioned that all the snacks were gone the first afternoon they were there.

    They put our favorite bible verse on the thank you card: Phil 4:13
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

    Cody & Ellie were so excited to get this thank you card and to hear how the snacks we brought touched other people in a short period of time.

    ReplyDelete