Monday, June 28, 2010

would you like some H2O?








Day 12? What did we do? Well for starters, we located our coolers & bottled water and bought ice. We had a plan! What was our plan, you ask? Our plan, our call of action, for today's act of kindness, was to stand outside of the Community Kitchen and pass out bottled water.

We had 36 waters to pass out, coolers, ice, but we needed a cart, to help us with the heavy coolers. So, we stopped by For Jamie's Sake to borrow the cart. While there we recruited all the volunteers to help us with this act of kindness on "make a difference" Monday. Wow, Cody, Miss Ellie, me, Cameron(Cody & Ellie's friend), and 6 volunteers from For Jamie's Sake hit the ground to "make a difference."

Off we go, with the cart loaded down with coolers, ice and water, strolling down Winchester Ave. On a mission to cheer up and cool people down with water. We were smiling and saying, "hi" to everyone we past on the sidewalk. We had 36 waters and I was certain that they would be gone in no time flat at the Community Kitchen. We apparently got there too late. We only passed out 18. I said we weren't moving until all of the water was handed out. We waited and waited. It became real clear that the rest of the water wasn't meant to be given out at this location. I was feeling so defeated. I thought that was the plan....all 36 waters to go to the individuals at the Community kitchen as they left. That was my plan.

However, I must add, while passing out the water, outside of the Community Kitchen, we met the volunteer coordinator for the Community Kitchen. He set us up for training this Friday and we will be volunteering next Monday, July 5th to serve meals. So, you have an inside scoop on what we will be doing on day 19, next Monday.

Okay, we decided that we would simply leave the Community Kitchen with the bottled waters and save them for another day. On our way up Winchester Ave. one of my volunteers mentioned taking the water to the Ashland Senior Center. So, we headed there with our 18 bottled waters to see if we could share our water with them.

We were greeted by the nicest lady and she welcomed our water donation. The kids placed the water from the cooler onto the kitchen counter. The plan was to give away 36 bottled waters today, it just wasn't how I originally thought. God fully intended for us to give 18 out at the Community Kitchen and 18 at the Ashland Senior Center. God is sooooo good!

When I learn to let go and let God His plan is always better than mine. So, it wasn't just the Community Kitchen that we were meant to help today but the Senior Center all along. I just wasn't still and didn't hear the whole message from my almighty God.

God is soooo good! I know today was only day 12 but I can't even begin to tell you the memories that I am making with my children that will last a lifetime.

Thank you God for this kindness journey. Today I learned a valuable lesson, it isn't just about being kind that God wants, He wants all of us. Yes, He wants us to be kind, but He wants us to listen when He talks. Sometimes I'm so busy doing, I don't take the time to sit still and listen. This was one valuable lesson I gained from today's kindness journey.

Praise God whom all blessings flow!!!!

Where will we be tomorrow?? Stay tuned. Until then.....

on your mark, get set, be kind.

Love you to the moon & back,
Annie, Cody & Miss Ellie

1 comment:

  1. This seems to be the theme for this week. I am feeling so blessed. It is catching on, the kindness train is growing.

    ReplyDelete