Friday, June 25, 2010

New friends, Woodland Oaks, day 9




Have you ever been inside Woodland Oaks Nursing facility? Kudos to the Nurses, Dr's, administrative assistants, housekeeping staff, everyone who makes this place sparkle like the rare gem it truly is. For years, I have passed by this Nursing home and never been inside...until today.

A couple of days ago a "little birdie" told the 3 musketeers about a precious couple who resides at Woodland Oaks and would like some visitors. In addition to visitors, the Mrs. loves hot black coffee from Tim Horton's. I knew immediately she was a woman after my own heart....Tim Horton's is my middle name....ha! I love that place!!! So, without thinking about it I told the "little birdie" we would be happy to visit and take black coffee.

We got up this morning excited knowing this was the first place we were heading...Tim Horton's then Woodland Oaks. We bought the coffee and just a hop skip and a jump away was the nursing home. Cody, Ellie and I pulled into the parking lot and we began to pray for this visit and the new friends we were about to make.

We walked through the main doors and signed in at the reception desk. We were greeted by the kindest people ever. We got directions to where we were heading and off we went...down the hallway. Every step we took I was praying. (I learned, after we left, that Cody & Ellie had been praying every step walking down the hallway.) Down the hallway, make a turn, then walk some more and we finally arrived to our destination.

The door was shut upon our arrival. We knocked twice and on the second time we heard a firm "come in". We opened the door and saw the most handsome man sitting in a recliner with the prettiest head of white hair I have ever seen in my life. His eyes danced and smiled. His eyes told that he is a gentle soul. His wife was putting on her make up and cleaning up for the day. I introduced ourselves and that a "little birdie" told us that she liked black coffee. She smiled and said, "you were here to see someone else and then stopped in to see us?" I said, "no, we only came to see you all. We are only here for you." She smiled great big and said, "how nice." She is a beautiful woman who told me of her love to read the Bible, do devotions and she loves seek n find puzzles.

We promised to visit again and the next time we are bringing seek n find puzzle books. This act of kindness has touched me in a way that has rendered me speechless.

This won't be our last visit to our new friends...we will be back. I wish I could have snapped a photo of her bright smile and his sparkling eyes. This act of kindness, we have gained 2 new friends. My life is richer having done this act of kindness.

Cody on the way out of the nursing home stopped at the nursing station to see if there were more people who needed us to be there friends. Ellie said she was going to make them all pictures to hang in their rooms. Thank you God for Cody & Ellie!!!!

Huh, you know it is funny, we set out to be a true blessing to others. We wanted to be busy being the hands and feet of Jesus. I was the one blessed today!!! Me! I haven't stopped smiling! I have been smiling thinking of the smiles I saw so early in the morning.

Praise God for the "little birdie" who told us about our new friends. Praise God for our new friends!!! Thank you God for this kindness journey with Cody & Ellie!!!! Please pray for our new friends.

I am humbled today and am truly at a complete loss of words.

Where will we be tomorrow? Stay tuned! Until then......

On your mark, get set, be kind.

Love you to the moon & back,
Annie, Cody, & Miss Ellie

No comments:

Post a Comment